Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Science Fair Proposal

1. What is your hypothesis?
If material form and sound absorption are related, then the thickest and most texturized materials will absorb the most sound

2. Identify the dependent, independent, and control variables.
dependent=sound, independent=soundproofing materials, control=alarm clock

3. What is the connection between your science project and your senior project EQ?
One of my answers to my EQ is going to be "having good acoustics in the venue". This connects with soundproofing, which is exactly what my experiment is.

4. How will you perform the experience?
I will build a small room by using wood and plexiglass for the front so you can see through. I will put and alarm clock (or other loud noise-maker that can be set off) inside and use it as the sound source. I will line the inside of the room with various materials. I will then measure the amount of sound that is emitted by the alarm by using a dB (decibel) meter.
various materials will include: cloth, sponges, acoustic panels, and egg cartons.

5. Which category will your project be listed under?
Engineering Research & Applications

1 comment:

  1. In your hypothesis, choose one: either most textured or thickest. Which one can you best study?

    ReplyDelete